If you are finally ready to pop the big question, you need to make sure the moment is absolutely perfect. This means planning everything down to the very last detail. A unique first step you may want to consider is designing your own diamond ring.
Can I Design a Diamond Ring?
Designing your own engagement ring is not as difficult of a process as it may seem. You can either start by choosing the setting and then selecting a complimentary centre stone and surrounding diamonds, or you can spark your creativity by looking through bridal magazines. You may find several looks you’d like to combine to create one perfectly unique diamond ring. Don’t rule that thought out. Many of today’s most beautiful engagement rings are created by master jewellers who used ideas or drawings to create a one-of-a-kind ring.
If you’re thinking about designing a diamond hk ring from a setting, here are a few tips and jewellery terms so you’ll know what to expect.
- Setting – The setting you choose sets the stage for the diamonds and surrounding stones. Yellow gold, white gold, and platinum are the most common settings. Choose a design that will be eye-catching, but will compliment her finger with its size and shape. Sometimes with settings, simplicity is key.
- Diamond Cut – Choosing a diamond involves selecting the cut you think she will love the most. A round diamond often has the most lustre and shine. This is simply because the cut is circular and reflects the light uniformly. The round diamond is the most common. Other cuts include marquis, square, oval, and heart shaped.
- Diamond Side Stones – With some settings, you can also choose side stones. These are small diamonds that are placed in the band on either side of the main diamond. These stones may only appear once or twice or can circle the entire band, depending on the setting. Gemstones can also be used as side stones instead of diamonds.
- Diamond Colour – While most diamonds are transparent and colourless, not all diamonds appear this way. You may be able to choose diamonds that are pink, blue, orange, red, or a variety of other colours. Some are artificially enhanced, while others are natural.
- Diamond Carat Weight – The weight of the diamond you choose is important. Decide what’s right for your budget as a starting point. Sometimes cost can be kept to a minimum by using an illusion head, which provides the appearance of one single centre stone, but is actually several (usually four) which are set closely together.
Once you have sorted out the small details of your diamond ring, you are set to design the perfect ring for the love of your life. If you are still confused and not sure where to turn, a consultation with a reputable jeweller will help finalize your decisions.
Above all else, remember, this is a gift of love. There are no mistakes. Choose the setting and stones you feel will look best on her and trust your judgment. When you see the appreciation on her face you’ll know you made the right choice. Anyone can purchase a diamond ring, but not everyone chooses to design an original.